May 23, 2007

1 Peter 2:9-10

"But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy." 1 Peter 2:9-10

As some of you may know, I started on a journey to memorize the book of 1 Peter. It has been slow at times and a lot of rework other times. So, the reason I started this blog was to hold myself accountable to see this through and share a few of my thoughts on what God is teaching me through this amazing book. Sorry I am starting in the middle of chapter 2. Maybe one day I will go back through those verses that I have skipped.

What is our calling?

I love museums. Last year I had the chance to go to Washington DC with a couple of friends and they quickly learned that I could spend all day at the different Smithsonian museums. One of my favorite exhibits wasn't open due to remodeling - but it is inauguration dresses of the first ladies. They are a symbol of elegance and style of those that wore them. But when you really think about it - it is just some material cotton, polyester, rayon - nothing different than what you could find in your own closet - what made those dresses were the women who wore them.

That story reminds me of this verse. We are CHOSEN, ROYAL, HOLY and SPECIAL. Wow. That feels good...but wait - just like the clothes we are nothing without the Lord. God chose this generation. God ordained us as a royal priesthood. God sets us apart. God by His grace and mercy clothed us through the blood of His Son and calls us special.

When we grasp this concept - the second part of the verse comes easy- proclaim the praises of Him who called Dawn out of darkness into His marvelous light. Proclaim the praises...I don't do that often enough. When I think of proclaim, I think of standing at the top of the mountain and shouting. Sometimes we stay safely tucked inside our comfort zone. But since God made us CHOSEN, ROYAL, HOLY and SPECIAL we are not to be ashamed of one who gives our calling.

We are the people of God. Clothed in His mercy. Asked nothing more than to proclaim His praises.

No comments: