Jun 19, 2007

1 Peter 2:12

"having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation" 1 Peter 2:12

I am sure that you are like me in the fact that you like to display certain pieces of your life. My refrigerator is a collage of those people that are dearest to me. I have pictures of friends and family around my house. Pictures of past missions trips. My cell phone background is picture of Gracie. They are a display of those things which I cherish and love the most.

Our relationship with God is the same. We are God's vessels that He uses as a display to an unbelieving world. We have been entrusted with the responsibility to let God be seen through us. To do this, we have to get out of the way. Our desires have to become God's desires. Our conduct has to become the conduct of God. When that happens, when people see God in our lives by our outward actions - God does a work in their heart.

Don't get confused by these verses. It is important for us to obey and equally as important for us to have our actions honorable. But our motivation cannot be driven by the response of those around us, good or bad. We must be guided by our desire to praise and honor God.

"You are the light of the world, a city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden." Matt 5:14

Does an unbelieving world see you or Jesus?

No comments: